Moṭagānahaḻḻi Subrahmanya Shastry - Major Works

On 29th August 1959, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan visited Mysore to inaugurate the All India Conference on Philosophy. Subrahmanya Shastry wrote the following verses to welcome him –

yasmin jñāte janeṣu prasarati vimalo bhrātṛ-bhāvaḥ suhṛt-tvaṃ

puṣṭis-tuṣṭis-samṛddhir-nirupama-vibhavaḥ saṃskṛter-dīptimat-tvam|

mānuṣyaṃ yena samyag jagati vijayate dharmam-ujjīvya satyaṃ

pāyād-vaḥ śāśvataṃ tat prarucira-sudhiyāṃ darśanaṃ bodha-pūrṇam||

Moṭagānahaḻḻi Subrahmanya Shastry - Childhood and Household Affairs

Childhood and Education

Subrahmanya Shastry lost his father when he was just about seven or eight years old (c. 1913).

He received his early lessons in the Sanskrit language from Kāśinātha-śāstri and then joined the Cāmarajendra Saṃskṛta Mahāpāṭhaśālā in Bangalore. He studied kāvya, nāṭaka, and other genres of literature. He must have been sixteen or seventeen years of age.

Some Councillors - Part 2

Rangaswamy Iyengar

A. Rangaswamy Iyengar started his Government service during the time of Rangacharya. He was revenue commissioner for a long time and later a high court judge. He was a well read man. He had all legal information readily accessible at his fingertips. He was a man of courage and also was an adept horse-rider.

Masti Venkatesha Iyengar - The Generous Gentleman

Generosity of Personality

Masti was not particularly affluent. His earnings were not much compared to what government officials earn today. He felt that whatever he had must be spent for society and as a result, he had cultivated living a simple life. He kept aside a large portion of his savings for the sake of public welfare. He led a life along the ideals laid down by Kālidāsa in his Raghuvaṃśa, “त्यागाय सम्भृतार्थानां...” (One who ‘accumulates wealth only so that he might offer it in charity...’)

Some Councillors - Part 1

Purna Krishna Rao was a councillor during the era of Dewan Rangacharlu. He was the very first councillor from Mysuru.

He was born and brought up in Mysuru.

I have heard from respectable people that he was scrupulously honest, sattvik and honourable.

His son was Purna Raghavendra Rao. He was a preceptor to Maharaja Krishna Raja Wodeyar IV. Later, he was a huzur secretary. He was initially an excise commissioner during the time of Sir M. Visvesvaraya and later a councillor.

Rāḻḻapalli Ananthakrishna Sarma (Part 2)

Literary Feats

At the behest of H. H. Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, there was an āśu-kavitā competition held in 1925 at Mysore in which the participating poets had to compose poetry instantaneously on the topic of the overall development of the modern Mysore State. Sarma stood first in the competition in which over forty scholars participated. His creation—a campū-kāvya—known as ‘Śrī Mahiśūra-rājyābhyudayādarśaḥ,’ became famous in due course.